Adult Education and Career Technical Education Teaching Credentials Online Information Session

Hello! Welcome to our Online Information Session! My name is Lindsey Low and I am the program
director for our Adult Education and Career Technical Education teaching credentials. Today, I’m going to tell you about our two
different teaching credentials and how you can take your experience to teach
others. I’ll begin by talking about the process
to apply for, meet the requirements of and then receive your teaching credential, followed by how our programs can help you
prepare and work through that process, and then how to get started in one of our
teaching credential programs. If you have any questions during this presentation, please go ahead and send them in; we’ll do our best to answer your questions
as we go through the presentation. So let’s get started! So, how do you earn a teaching credential? The entire process from application to receiving your cleared
credential is intense because you are getting a state-approved
credential. This is where we come in. We’re here to help you with the entire application
process. We’ll start by guiding you through the initial
application with our free online orientation. We’ll then review your actual application
form, which includes your work experience letters,
college transcripts and so forth. And then we act as your program sponsor and
recommend you to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a subject area. The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
is also known as the CTC and is the body that issues your teaching
credential. Once the CTC receives your application, we’ll send you a verification letter that
you can use as a placeholder. At this point, you may use the verification
letter as a placeholder for your credential and start your coursework. Once the CTC approves your application, you have three years to complete all of your
coursework and get the necessary two years of teaching experience. At this point, you can apply for your Professional
Clear Credential. So how can you make your teaching credential
application and resume for open teaching positions stand out? With either of our teaching credentials, you can teach in adult schools, private schools, business and trade schools and correctional facilities. Both of our teaching credential programs are
designed to meet the CTC’s education and teaching experience so that you can ultimately
receive your Professional Clear Credential. The credential itself is issued from the California
Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Our program is also approved by this commission and we meet all of their standards. What also makes our program unique is the
in-depth preparation because we’re meeting all of the requirements
from the CTC and we also include supervised teaching. So at the end of the program, you’re going to have a teaching practicum
in which you have both a mentor teacher and a supervisor from the university who will observe and critique and improve
your teaching experience. All of our courses meet on the weekends and you also receive one-on-one guidance from
our advising staff as well as our instructors who can assist you with questions that you
might have, especially if you have questions about the
teaching field itself. So why Berkeley? Many of you are wondering what is UC Berkeley
Extension and how we are related to UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education
arm of UC Berkeley. Since 1891, we’ve been assisting students
in reaching their professional goals and accomplishments. We offer more than 65 professional certificates
and specialized programs, and more than 2,000 classroom and online courses. We see about 38,000 enrollments each year. We pride ourselves on academic excellence. All of our courses and certificates— such as these credentials— are approved by the appropriate campus department; in particular, our credentials are approved
by the Graduate School of Education. Our certificates require academic advisory
boards comprising campus faculty and industry leaders, who review the curriculum to ensure that it’s
up to date with current practices, and in touch with emerging trends and hot
topics. Our instructors, who bring their real-world experience to the
classroom, are also approved by the Graduate School of
Education. So, when you enroll in a UC Berkeley Extension
course, you are guaranteed a real-world, Berkeley-quality professional education. So let’s turn our attention to the Adult
Education Teaching Credential. The Adult education teaching credential is
designed for those who want to only teach adults. This could be at public adult schools, correctional facilities or a few trade unions. There are two different options within adult
education. First, you can teach academic subjects. Most common are english as a second language
and basic skills, or GED-level coursework, as well as citizenship courses. To do so, you’ll need to hold a bachelor’s
degree or higher, And complete 20 semester units of coursework
in the subject area that you want to have on the credential. In addition you’ll need to show satisfactory
completion of the CTC Basic Skills Requirement. There are several options to show that you’ve
passed that exam. And you will only need to do this basic skills
exam if you want to teach an academic subject. With the adult education teaching credential, you could also teach academic subjects such as English, math, social science, life science and physical science. You could also teach career or vocational
subject areas, as well. With this option, you only need a high school
diploma or higher and be able to show three years of work experience. So if this sounds like the career path you
want, you’ll want to register for our Adult Education
teaching credential. You’ll take 7 required courses. This totals to 10 semester units or 150 hours
of instruction. You have 3 years to complete your requirements. Most students complete the certificate in
those 3 years. Here is the full list of the required courses. You should begin your studies with Early Orientation. If you are new to teaching credentials, you are required to take this course within
30 days of registering for the credential. It’s a prerequisite for all of the courses. It’s a one-semester course that is designed
to show you what a day in the life of a teacher is really like. You’ll take the rest of your required courses except for the practicum in any order. We ask that you take the Practicum as your
last course. In instructional strategies, you’ll cover basic principles of language
acquisition, approaches to teaching students whose primary language is not English, and techniques and materials to assist students
with limited English proficiency. In Curriculum design and assessment, you’ll study such topics as the development
and coordination of instructional objectives, strategies, activities, safety considerations, materials and student-assessment instruments
in the preparation of unit and lesson plans. In Integrating technology into education, you focus on best practices using technology
to provide differentiated instruction, assessment of student learning and creation of blended learning environments
that support teacher instruction and online learning. Then in Foundations of adult education, you delve into the relationship between adult
learning theories and diverse adult learner needs. In Fostering Wellness, you’ll learn effective strategies for teaching
health concepts in elementary, secondary and adult classes And then in your final course, Teaching Practicum, you’ll produce a complete curriculum plan
for the course or subject taught, including goals, objectives, daily lesson
plans, classroom materials, teaching strategies and student assessment materials. Let’s turn our attention now to the Career
Technical Education teaching credential. Career technical education is its own type
of credential. This is where you teach your occupation, which can be to anyone from kindergarten on
up through adults. So it doesn’t have the academic subject
areas like adult education, but it allows you to teach in the K-12 world. This is a key point: If you have a Designated Subjects Career Technical
Education credential, you will not be able to teach academic subject
areas. It’s designed for CTE courses. So the prerequisites to teach the occupation
is to have a high school diploma or higher and then three years of work experience in
the subject area that you wish to have listed on your credential. Every student has a different background or
a different work experience that they’re bringing and we’ll work with you on that piece to
determine which subjects areas you’ll qualify for on your credential. If you have a clear single or multiple-subject
teaching credential, we will waive all of the required courses
except for Career Technical Education Foundations, which is part of the clear credential process. I f you are a new credential candidate, you
will be required to take all of these courses. For the Career Technical Education teaching
credential, you’ll take 8 required courses. This totals to 11 semester units or 180 hours
of instruction. You have 3 years to complete your requirements. Most students complete the certificate in
those 3 years. Here are the required courses for the Career
Technical Education teaching credential. Many of the courses are the same as in the
Adult Education teaching credential, with the exception of the following: In SDAIE / Special Needs for Career Technical
Education, you’ll explore current research-based theories
of second-language acquisition and the differences between first- and second-language
acquisition and literacy development. You also learn to use the California English
Language Development standards and the California English Language Development
Test in instructional planning. And then in Career Technical Education Foundations, you’ll examine the history and traditions
of career technical education and its impact on contemporary programs and
the economy of California. You’ll develop a professional perspective
by examining contemporary education policies and teaching practices in relation to fundamental issues, theories
and research in education. You might be wondering, how much time will I be spending on my studies? As a general guideline, for every hour spent
in the classroom, you should expect to spend about two hours
outside of class time studying. So if you have a class that meets for three
hours a week, you’ll spend six hours studying, for a total of nine hours per week. Because so many of our students are working
professionals who want Berkeley’s academic quality, we offer courses on the weekends so that you
can continue to work while you study. One course that I want to highlight is the
final course in either of these teaching credentials. The Teaching Practicum class. This course is a key feature of the UC Berkeley
Extension program And sets us apart from other programs. Research in teacher retention has shown that
mentorship plays a large role in teachers staying in the profession through their early
years of teaching. The Teaching Practicum is designed to develop
a mentor teacher relationship and receive feedback from both the mentor
teacher and the University instructors on your teaching practice. It is your opportunity to show what you have
learned throughout your coursework and how you have applied that in your classroom. As already mentioned, you’ll learn from instructors who are practitioners
in their field and are skilled experts deeply vested in your success! They are passionate about sharing their knowledge
with you and helping you achieve your professional
and career goals. They bring to the classroom concepts that
illuminate the topics and real-world examples from their teaching
experience. With your fellow students, you work through examples and gain first-hand
knowledge through case-based scenarios and interactive projects. Some of our instructors include Vincent Ng, who holds an M.S. from the California State
University, East Bay in online teaching and learning. He holds a Clear Designated Subjects Adult
Education Teaching Credential, which he actually completed with us in 2015. Vincent has taught online courses in high
school diploma and GED programs, as well as English as a second language courses
at The Hayward Center for Education and Careers (Adult School) and high school diploma and
GED at San Leandro Adult. James Iler is one of our Extension Honored
Instructors and he has more than 10 years of experience
in education, including as an award-winning instructor,
college dean, faculty management, program manager and director. You’ll take your courses at our downtown
Berkeley center Which is a couple of blocks away from campus. his location is easy to get to using Bart and city parking is free on Sundays! We do offer a couple of the required courses
in the online format and we are working to develop the remaining
courses online. These are “fixed-date” courses that have
a set start and end date— in the same way as a classroom course. Fixed date courses usually run about 3 months. Your learning materials are always accessible
in the Online environment. Group discussions, forum posts, and instructor-posed questions all provide
opportunities to interact with your fellow classmates. You’ll learn by reading materials, further enhanced during interactions with
your instructor and classmates. You submit your homework assignments and research
projects electronically. Your instructor will provide feedback and
grading as you progress through the class. Earning your credential is an easy 3-step
process: First register for the credential and pay
the nonrefundable registration fee. You should do this before starting your first
course in the credential. Then, complete all of the courses with a grade
of C or better within the three-year time period. Probably one of the biggest benefits is that
you pay as you go. You don’t pay for the entire credential at
once. You pay for each course one at a time. For the adult education credential, the total cost for just the courses in total
comes to $2,800. For the designated education credential, the total cost for just the courses in total
comes to $3,700. This prices doesn’t include your textbooks
or the registration fee. Finally, once you’ve completed all of your
courses, You’ll be eligible for your Professional
Clear Credential. Many of you are wondering, “What do your graduates go on to do?” Here are a couple of our recent graduates
and their current positions: Mary Drain is one of a team of 12 teachers
who works with newly blind adults at the Orientation Center for the Blind, Which is a residential training center for
legally blind Californians, The center offers classes in mobility, computer
training, Braille and daily living skills that allow
students to care for themselves and to return to work or school. She’s told us: “Where else but in an education program
would you find an attorney, a chef, a Braille teacher, a marketing specialist, an electrician, an ESL instructor, a welder and an art teacher in one classroom? For me, the diversity of backgrounds and life
experiences among my classmates made the coursework that much more enriching.” Kim Jones is a GED instructor at Vallejo Unified
and West Contra Costa Unified. Kim has said that the adult education credential
expanded his ambition, saying, “I wanted to teach was one thing, but now I want to build, design the curriculum, make the course outline, run the school. I want to make a difference, and collaborate
with the teachers and the community.” You can read more about these two and other
graduates on our Voices blog on the website. So how do you get started? As I’ve said before, you should start your by enrolling in our
free online orientation so you can access the application materials and learn more about
the process. You can find the link to enroll on the credentials
web page on our website. I also suggest filling out our newsletter
sign-up form. You’ll receive monthly emails about upcoming
courses and new blog posts. Thank you for submitting your questions, many of which we’ve been able to answer
during the presentation. We have time to just answer a few more that
have come in. How quickly can I receive my verification
letter and preliminary credential? Generally, from the time you enroll in the
orientation to when you receive your verification letter it can be approximately two weeks if you are
a new credential applicant. We do our best to process these as quickly
as possible. During busy times it might be longer. The CTC does take longer to officially issue
the credential, often around 50 business days. You can check the status on their website. The last question we have time for is, What is the shortest time it will take to
complete the required courses? Generally students can complete the coursework
in three to five semesters. That’s all the time we have now for your
questions. If I wasn’t able to answer your individual
question or if you need any additional information
about our credentials, how to begin, where to start, who your instructors will be, what’s the
schedule, you can contact me at this email address or
phone number. I would love to hear from you and discuss
how a credential can get you to where you want to be. I look forward to seeing you in one of our

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *