Who Pays for University or College After a Divorce or Separation?

How are costs of university or college shared
by parents after separation and divorce? Hi, I’m Brian Galbraith. I’m the owner of Galbraith
Family Law. We are a law firm of divorce lawyers, with offices in Orillia, Barrie, and Newmarket.
Normally, child support ends when your child reaches the age of 18 years of age, unless
they continue to be in school on a full-time basis or in the real instance, they are unable
to become independent because of health concerns or other problems. If your child is in post-secondary education,
such as college or university, then the issue is how are those costs paid. Well, the simple
answer is they are shared by both parents in proportion to your incomes. If your income
is double your spouse’s income, you will pay two-thirds and your spouse will pay one-third
of the actual cost of university. That includes food, residence, books, tuition and all the
other expenses related to post-secondary education. Now, your child is not off the hook. Every
child has to make a reasonable contribution to their own education. The amount of that
contribution just depends on your child’s circumstances. Their income, their resources
and funds that might be available to them. If your child takes a year off after high
school, before going to university or college, you are still on the hook to share in their
post-secondary education costs. The obligation is shared in the costs of your
child’s education usually ends after one four-year degree. I’ll tell you, there have been a few
cases where judges have said that that obligation to pay for your child’s education can continue
beyond the first university degree. This is an important part of the negotiations that
we will engage in. We need to resolve how far each of the parents are going to contribute
to their child’s post-secondary education costs. We’ll put that in the separation agreement. The obligation to pay monthly base child support
according to the guidelines continues unless your child is living away from home. So if
your child lives out of town for university or college, then for the eight months that
they are gone, there usually is not an obligation to pay base child support. But it depends
on the circumstances, and some occasions, there still is an obligation to pay a monthly
amount, depending on how much time the child is spending at home. When the child is home for the summer months,
again the obligation to pay base child support will resume in most cases. The problem with
child support in post-secondary education costs is that there are a lot of gray elements
to it. If you really want to understand your obligation, your best suggestion, best advice
I can give you is that you speak with one of our lawyers. We can look at your circumstances
and help you determine what your obligation is to the post-secondary education costs. If this video has been helpful, like it or
share it or give it a thumbs up. Maybe pass it on to a friend so that they can see it
as well. If you are the point where you’re considering whether you have an obligation
to share in the cost of post-secondary education or you have any other divorce related questions,
please come book a consultation with one of our lawyers and we can help you sort it out.
Just go to our website, which is www.galbraithfamilylaw.com. and book a consultation with us. It’s a no
obligation opportunity for you to get more information and make the best decisions for
you and your family. Thank you. Good luck.

2 thoughts on “Who Pays for University or College After a Divorce or Separation?

  • Can't thank you enough. What Lawyer does this? Our children's children, is the KEY people. Be as unselfish as this firm, and maybe ALL… our children will grow to be as wise, and unselfish. I've met people who's spent 60,000.00 in divorce case's lasting year's. Do so only if you must! Now I at least know she's being reasonable since I am on social security with a small pension.

  • And we wonder why kids grow up to commit mass murder. Teaching kids they are entitled and owed something they are not. Finally when cut off a 23 they have 0 life skills or responsibilty and in many cases don't even graduate. You should be ashamed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *